Bring home this little piggie! Make your mug from scratch using our amazing earthenware clay and professional glazes in our lovely studio.
WHO IS THIS WORKSHOP FOR?
Recommended minimum age is 6 years old*.
*Kids aged 6-11 must be accompanied by an Adult Participant. Both adult and child must be registered and paid for. Maximum 2 kids per adult participant.
Kids aged 12 and up may attend this workshop on their own. Please note the teacher is not standing at the table for the whole workshop.
HOW LONG IS THE WORKSHOP?
Up to 1.5 hours for the initial visit (making the mug) + 1–1.5 hours for glazing (2nd visit)
WHAT DO I MAKE?
Each person creates one mug | 3.5″× 3″
HOW THIS WORKSHOP WORKS
STEP 1: MAKE
STEP 2: GLAZE
- Attend the clay workshop on the date & time you selected.
- Watch our curator's step by step demonstration.
- The demo is about 15 minutes, which means you really have to be on time. :) The demo will commence within 5 minutes of the scheduled start time.
Please arrive on time to ensure you get the full instructions. Even come a little early! Look around, say hi! Please, please, be on time.
- After the demo, you have around one hour and 15 minutes to sculpt your clay, get creative and add the details.
- The creating time is self-directed for you to enjoy the process of creating!
After you have created your clay piece it will embark on quite the journey :)
DRESS FOR MESS!
- First, it will stay in our studio for 4–10 days to completely dry.
- Once dry it will be put into our kiln for it’s first of two firings. This is called the ‘bisque fire’.
- Once your clay has been bisque fired, it is time to book your glazing time.
- Please check the Clay Status link in the top menu to see if your clay has been bisque fired (ready for glazing). Participants WILL NOT receive a call or email when their clay has been bisque fired. We will not be able to provide clay status info over the phone.
- Return to the studio to glaze your project in our amazing glazing room BOOK HERE. Here is when you add details, colour and shine! This time is self-directed, step by step instructions are posted in the room.
- Our staff is there to help if needed. You are able to book the glazing room for up to 90 minutes, however, if the next time slot is not full you are welcome to stay a little longer. If one hour is not enough, you are welcome to come back again and book a second glazing time.
- All glazing times must be booked online, no walk-ins
We use professional materials and art supplies which means paint may stain clothing, shoes and jackets. We have aprons at the studio to borrow, but wet paint may be lurking around any corner. Please note, even if you are not doing a painting workshop, you may still get paint on you.
4Cats is not responsible for damage to clothing or personal belongings. Please leave the ball gowns and tuxedos at home.
At the end of your glazing time, staff will let you know when your piece will be fired for the last time and when you can pick it up. You WILL NOT receive an email or call with this information.
Workshops are sold by the seat.
We do not have space for observers/helpers.
Each person attending must be registered.
Please click here
for workshop policies and FAQs.